Vancouver Water Monitoring
- This program was inspired by the success of the Toronto Harbour Monitoring Program, where Lake Ontario Waterkeeper has been collecting water samples and testing for E. coli since 2016.
- An estimated 400,000 Canadians get sick every year from swimming in polluted waters.
- As Metro Vancouver works toward BC's goal to eliminate sewage overflows by 2050, the city is undergoing a separation of its antiquated combined sewer overflow system.
- In 2016, 3,652,000 m3 of untreated wastewater flowed into False Creek over 495 hours from the Heather Street CSO.
- The 6 CSO points nearest to CRAB Park discharged an estimated 15,726,315 cubic metres of sewage in 2016, and 18,869,229 cubic metres in 2017.